In the world of finances a “staycation” is recognized as the frugal way to spend your vacation time. With just a bit of money and some good old fashioned creativity, this can be the summer that goes down in history!
Let’s first lay down some important rules:
1. The whole family must participate in these activities– no exceptions! It is so much more enjoyable that way!!
2. Unplug from social media and all electronic devices. It can be harder to focus on each other during a staycation, but this together time is just as important as if you were going away on vacation.
3. No dishwashing whatsoever. Get paper plates and cups and plasticware if needed.
4. Have a blast!
Now, ready to have some fun? After lots of brainstorming with my family and friends, I compiled these ideas to share with y’all:
Mountain trails are usually free so why not use them? Hiking is a fun activity for everyone and the view can be breathtakingly spectacular! Hiking trails are even great for those who aren’t generally very active since they are labeled with levels of difficulty from easy walking to ‘climbing on hands and knees’ types of hikes. Some trails are even wheelchair accessible! So dig out those tennis shoes, grab a water bottle, and pack a delicious picnic lunch to enjoy at the summit!
Bake Off and Game Night
Challenge the family to a baking contest and see who is the most creative with the decorating. Set a challenge like “Create a cake that looks like something from your favorite movie” to get the creative and competitive juices flowing! Have a nifty prize on hand to present to the champion! Then eat the creations over puzzles and games.
5 Unusual Game Ideas:
1. Ultimate Monopoly (It’s like regular Monopoly, but with some extra rules we made up to make it epic. ;P)
3. Jumping Jack Slapjack (The one whose hand is on top has to do a set number of jumping-jacks as recompense!)
4. Spoons (Or for a more exciting version… play it with forks and knives! jk!)
5. Bean Boozled! The gross out jelly bean challenge (If you spin and land on the yellowish jelly bean it could either taste like buttered popcorn or rotten egg… I dare you to find out!)
Nighttime Ninja Nerf
This sounds so fun I’ll have to do it with my family sometime!I
Dress in stealthy, tactical black and arm everyone with a NERF gun. Then turn off all the lights in the house! Play “Capture the Flag”. Watch out! –whoever wins gets to pick the movie for family movie night!
Create a huge tent in the living room with bed sheets and rubber bands then throw a bunch of pillows, cozy blankets, and flashlights inside. Grab a laptop, snuggle up, and watch a favorite movie together!! Have everyone gasping with laughter by muting the sound and taking turns making up your own lines to go with the scenes! Party snacks are mandatory. 😉
Take a not-so-average trip to the library…
The local library is our family’s home away from home. It has books, wi-fi AND it’s all free! Who wouldn’t like that?!
Make it a not-so-average trip to the library by challenging everyone to a scavenger hunt! Maybe the goal is to be the first to tell a story solely with book titles, or race to find a book with your first name in it, or try to find the top ten New York Timers from this year! Phones are allowed on this escapade but only for research. 😉 Bring home your goodies for a cozy evening of read-alouds and movies chosen by the best NERF Ninja.
I hope these ideas help keep things frugal but tons of fun as you plan your staycation! I can’t wait to try them with my own family this summer! Do you have any staycation plans this year?