“…peace and Goodwill towards men.”
I’m sitting on the Marshmallow as I compose my thoughts. I had my wisdom teeth extracted last week, but my jaw is still killing me. I went to the oral surgeon today for a follow-up, and apparently I have “dry socket” (which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy). Why am I telling you this? Because I want sympathy!!! Well, OK, there’s another reason why. Today, Florida suddenly remembered that it’s winter and produced some chilly weather. In honor of the gorgeous chill, I wore my “new” black turtleneck tunic (pictured below)!
I recently purchased it—and the adorable blue pants—from Goodwill! Anyway, my nurse loved it. It’s always fun to surprise people with a “Thanks! I bought it at Goodwill!” I could also just as easily say “Behold, the treasure which I snatched from the bowels of cast-off-ugliness!” So, you would like to become a treasure-snatcher? Let me train you, young padawan.
Make sure you complete these vital steps in order:
- Go to Google Maps and search for the nearest Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.
- Download or print a Goodwill Sale CALENDAR like this one! The link I have included here are for Goodwill locations in Minnesota. Keep in mind that not all areas have their sales calendar available online – you may have to get one at the store to learn about the sales cycle in your area.
- Get in your car.
- Drive to one of the locations.
- Get out of your car.
- Enter the store with elegance…as if you were gliding into Saks Fifth Avenue with $5,000 in your purse.
- Commence the hunt!
Here are some random tips:
– Be prepared to spend about two hours in the store.
– If you are looking for jeans, you will have to go through a LOT of jeans to find the perfect pair. Be prepared to try on about 25 pairs.
– Yeah, make sure you wash everything you buy before wearing.
– Go with a friend or your mom—you might need help evaluating tackiness, whether or not an item has too much wear-and-tear, etc.
– Salvation Army stores nationwide mark down most of their clothing to half price every Wednesday!
– Don’t overlook the formal dresses section! Yes, there are lots of 80’s polyester dresses to sort through, but you can occasionally find a gorgeous gown!
My next post will discuss consignment stores! Oh, and I’d love for you to comment on this post with your Goodwill stories! Go get ‘em!